Error problem to change template blogspot


Apparently many bloggers using the Blogger platform have encountered the problem of not being able to apply changes to - and hence customise - their blog's template using Blogger's Template Designer (this I gathered through Google).  I was one of them.  Whether or not this had anything to do with Blogger upgrading to their new interface last Sept/Oct, I'm not entirely sure; but in my case at least, the timing seemed to coincide.  Having said that and because I'm no techie, I really don't wanna jump to conclusions and point fingers at the good people at Google.... and neither should anybody.

Anyway, the good news is I've figured out how to fix the problem error and have since customised this blog the way I want it to appear; and here I wish to share with all how I did it.  Now this post may seem longish, but that's only because of the diagrams I've incorporated for ease of reference; so bear with me.  It's really quite simple.

Step 1.  IMPORTANT: You must first have your mobile template enabled (I really don't know why; I found out by trial and error that it's a pre-requisite).  This is how you enable it (see Diagram 1):  At your blog's dashboard, click on the arrow-down button located left of the "View Blog" button.  Select "Template".



Diagram 1

* * *


Step 2.  At your template screen (Diagram 2), click on the cogwheel under "Mobile".  This will take you to the "Template > Choose mobile template" screen (Diagram 3).



Diagram 2

* * *


Step 3.  At the "Template > Choose mobile template" screen, select "Yes. Show mobile template on mobile devices".  Click "Save".



Diagram 3


Your screen will revert to the "Template" screen as in Diagram 2 above.


* * *

Step 4.  Next click on "Edit HTML".  A screen as in Diagram 4 will appear.  Here, click on "Revert widget templates to default" and save.  You'll be taken back to the "Template" screen (Diagram 2).


Diagram 4


* * *


Step 5.  Next, at the "Template" screen, click on the orange "Customise" button.  The "Blogger Template Designer" screen will appear (Diagram 5).  Click on the blue "Remove customisations" link near the top of your screen - this removes ALL customisations that you've previously made.

If all these steps are done correctly and in that sequence, your blog will have by now reverted to the default Blogger template (boring!).  In short, you're on a clean slate.  You may now proceed to choose your new preferred template and customise the look of your blog to your whim and fancy using the template designer - and this time, it ought to work.


Diagram 5


* * *


I suspect the problem of Blogger's template designer not showing or applying changes is due to the numerous customisations you've previously made to your blog template that may have resulted in some kind of "conflict" with the Blogger platform.  In other words, you fiddled too much with them.  This I believe causes the template designer to malfunction and become non-responsive.  Note: This is notwithstanding the fact that some of you may have NOT imported any third party HTML scripts as part of your previous customisations.  You'll find that merely switching templates doesn't solve the problem.  I'm guessing this is because doing this in itself does not remove previous HTML customisations or reset gadgets.

I've no doubt there are other ways of fixing this problem - but being a tech dummy, this is how I fixed the problem on my blog....  and it worked.  Do try out the steps I mentioned if you're facing problems with your template designer and let me know (in the "Comments" field below) whether it works for you.  If it does, well and good - but please tell me.  If it doesn't, I'm afraid you may need to turn to the experts - please tell me too.

Good luck.  Waiting to hear from you guys.
No comments :

No comments :

Post a Comment